RE: Identity Constraints

From: Priscilla Walmsley <priscilla@walmsley.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 08:57:47 -0500
To: "'Mark Thornton'" <mthornton@optrak.co.uk>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Hi Mark,

You're right - that's a known issue with the recommendation [1]. It will be
listed in the errata.  I agree with Jeni that you are going to have
difficulty expressing exactly what you want to express using XML Schema,
unless the column's "name" attributes are unique across all table elements.
You could replicate the table name as an attribute on the column name, e.g.

<column tableName="addresses" name="street"/>

Hope that helps,
Priscilla

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/05/xmlschema-rec-comments#pfiPrimerIDConst

Priscilla Walmsley                          priscilla@walmsley.com
Vitria Technology                            http://www.vitria.com
Author, Definitive XML Schema                  (Prentice Hall PTR)