Re: XSV failed to catch error?

From: Ian Stokes-Rees <ijs@decisionsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:48:59 +0100
To: bergmark@CS.Cornell.EDU
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

I think there were a number of namespace inconsistencies and
capitalisation issues between the schema and the instance document as

_From the two links which were provided I was able to download an
instance and a schema, but basic correction of the namespacing issues
didn't result in a schema valid instance.

Not to sound _too_ much like a broken record, you could try using the
schema validator at:

This uses XercesJ to validate an instance against a schema.  We are
continually improving the error messages which it returns.
Unfortunately at the moment you may not find the error messages
particularly helpful.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 12:16:42PM -0400, Bob Schloss wrote:
>    Donna,
>    You  need to show us your instance document before we can determine
>    if XSV failed to catch an error.
>    The   sequence   construct   in   your   complexType   does  not
>    mean "concatenation  of  content  models",  it  means  sequence of
>    elements (actually, particles).
>    Therefore, something of type oai-identifier-type will look, in an
>    instance document, like:
>    <scheme>oai</scheme>
>    <repositoryIdentifier>AA</repositoryIdentifier>
>    <delimeter>:</delimiter> <sampleIdentifier>BB</sampleIdentifier>
>    If  what  you  want  it  to look like is oai:AA:BB (and note that
>    your schema   above   didn't  even  include  the  first  colon),
>    you  want oai-identifier-type  to  be  a  simpleType  with a
>    pattern facet whose value is something like
>    oai:[a-zA-Z0-9]+:[a-zA-Z0-9] .
>    Please re-read the W3C XML Schema Primer at
>    [1]http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0  or  any one of the commercial
>    XML Schema books or online tutorials.

>    To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
>    cc: bergmark@CS.Cornell.EDU
>    Subject: XSV failed to catch error?
>    I may be misunderstanding something, but it seems that this URL
>    should be found to be in error:
>    [2]http://pastel.paristech.org/perl/oai?verb=Identify
>    Specifically, the repositoryIdentifier element does not obey the
>    syntax specified by the schema being used, which is:
>    [3]http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/1.1/oai-identifier.xsd
>    XSV (2001 version) passes the URL query on all counts.  Donna
>    Bergmark
> References
>    1. http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0
>    2. http://pastel.paristech.org/perl/oai?verb=Identify
>    3. http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/1.1/oai-identifier.xsd

Ian Stokes-Rees, Client Services      DecisionSoft Ltd.
Telephone: +44-1865-203192            http://www.decisionsoft.com