Re: [xml-dev] (more details) embedding xml schema in an instance doc

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 11 Jun 2002 11:17:09 +0100
To: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
Cc: <peej@mindspring.com>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

"Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com> writes:

> The sForS is not a valid schema and thus should fail to validate.

I think it's time to stop saying this.  As Eddie noted, there is only
one remaining issue (the use of whiteSpace in the definitions for the
builtin primitives) and this is a contentious issue -- validators
which enforce all and only the normative requirements now pass the
sForS.

> As for validating processors to allow
>
> <xs:import  namespace="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" />
>
> so users can specify items from the http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema
> namespace in their instance documents is a work around to this
> deficiency that I am not sure any validating processor currently
> implements.

Works in XSV.  But why do it?  All the public components from the
sForS are already available by definition, without any import being
required.