Re: Question about different content-model for element w/ same name

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 11:49:46PM +0200, Jeroen Koops wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>

> > > <xs:element name="...">
> > >  <xs:complexType>
> > >   <xs:choice>
> > >    <xs:element name="myName" type="myFirstType"/>
> > >    <xs:element name="myName" type="mySecondType"/>
> > >   </xs:choice>
> > >  </xs:complexType>
> > > </xs:element>
> > >

> > Nope. This is invalid.
>
> Great! (I'm trying to write a schema-validator, and this was a bit of a
> worry). I now see in paragraph 3.8.1 the clause which indeed explicitly
> disallows the above example, it says:

Unless it is for the academic exercise, you will probably find you are
better off using one of:

Xerces-J (generally taken to be the most accurate schema validating XML
          parser available)
Xerces-C
MSXML
Oracle XDK (not sure about the licensing status of this)

rather than writing your own from scratch.  The two Xerces parsers have
the advantage of being open source (i.e. you can contribute to their
development or do your own customisations and bug fixes), and
cross-platform.  I believe Oracle XDK is also available for a number of
platforms, but possibly not Linux on x86.  MSXML v4 is also quite good
and part of almost every Windows installation.

You may find some useful comparison information in some of the following
links:

http://www.sosnoski.com/opensrc/xmlbench/index.html

... I've just realised that there is a shortage of any benchmarks or
comparisons of the various parsers.  I have seen something which
compares the performance of various parsers against the schema test set
which has been accumulated, but I can't seem to find a URL for that
anywhere.

Ian.

--
Ian Stokes-Rees, Client Services      DecisionSoft Limited
+44-1865-203192                       http://www.decisionsoft.com