RE: restriction question

Thanks, Dare.  I tried setting elementFormDefault to unqualified (I think
you meant either/or with the two suggestions), and then Xerces complains
that:

Error:  org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid
content starting with element 'State'. The content must match '(("":State),("":Country))'.

This is because of the default namespace, right?

What I would like to do is restrict a type from a foreign schema/namespace
-- which I have no control over -- in a namespace that I do have control
over, and I would like to have the default namespace be equal to the
target namespace in my schema.  Is this possible?  If I have understood
you properly, then this isn't possible if the foreign namespace schema has
elementFormDefault set to 'qualified'. Is this correct?  Do I have to not
use the xmlns=targetNamespace?

thanks,

calvin