RE: Validation rules for a complexType

From: John Verhaeg <jverhaeg@metamatrix.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 15:55:02 -0500
To: "'ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk'" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>

Much appreciated.  I was focusing on the schema constraint sections and
hadn't really analyzed the component definition sections yet.

However, I'm still hoping I wasn't actually confusing the representations
with components: I was really just concerned with understanding things I saw
in the sForS representation, as processing this seems to be the first step
in validating a schema representation (since the schema constraints all seem
to start with "In addition to the conditions imposed on <[?]> element
information items by the schema for schemas..."), and wasn't really
considering a complete set of components yet.  So by "validation", I guess I
mean either before or on-the-fly as I create the components from the
representation.  Do I have something backwards on how I'm approaching this?

Also, just to confirm, it appears you are actually saying that there is no
real difference between not redeclaring an element in a restricting subtype
(assuming it's not required) vs. redeclaring it with maxOccurs=0 (although
there'd probably be no reason to actually choose this alternative).
Correct?

Thank you for your help,

John P. A. Verhaeg
JVerhaeg@MetaMatrix.Com