Re: Validation rules for a complexType

Hi,

On Tue, 2002-07-02 at 17:54, John Verhaeg wrote:

> It appears to me from looking at the spec that whenever you derive a
> complexType from another complexType as a restriction, you have to
> re-declare any attributes or children from the supertype in the subtype if
> you want them to be available in the subtype.  Is this true?

Yes and no: that's true for children elements but not for attributes
which you can either repeat or not.

> If so, it
> seems like when validating an instance of the subtype, I need look no
> farther than the subtype itself (i.e., I don't need to traverse the type
> hierarchy to see what's valid).

I use to say that derivation by restriction is not a feature to add
modularity to your schemas (since you need to repeat most of the
declaration) but a feature to add modularity to your applications. It
can be seen as a declaration which may be used by your applications if
they support the PSVI that if they know how to handle a complex type
they know how to handle any complex type derived by restriction from
this type. At the schema level, it's also implying that schema
processors check that these types are valid restrictions so there is
also a sanity check involved here.

> Also, what's the difference in this scenario between not re-declaring a
> child or attribute and declaring a child with maxOccurs=0 or an attribute
> with use="prohibited", respectively?

For attributes, since you can leave them alone you must redeclare them
with use="prohibited" to remove them from the derived type. For child
elements, why would you want to redeclare them with maxOccurs=0 ?

Eric

--
See you in San Diego.
                               http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2002/