Re: Checking a UTF-16 instance against a UTF-8 Schema

Both Schema and instance are, of course, XML documents, so I would expect that any decent parser implementing the rules as given in
the XML Specification (Section 4.3.3) handles this without a glitch.

Indicating the encoding of a document or external entity can be done in several ways: indicating the encoding in the XML or Text
Declaration, as a parameter of the InputSource, using a Byte Order Mark.
Both Xerces-J 2.0.0 and Turbo XML 2.2.1.100 (nothing meant to be normative, these two happen to be installed on this machine) are
happy with an instance in UTF-16 (with a Byte Order Mark) and a Schema in UTF-8, without any encoding declaration.

Note that accented French can be represented in UTF-8 encoding -- both UTF-8 and UTF-16 allow to encode the whole Unicode character
set.

Best regards,

--
Jacques

--
Jacques Deseyne
Technical Authority, SWIFTAlliance WebStation Development Team

This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information that is
confidential and/or proprietary and is intended for the sole use of
the recipient(s) named above. It is not intended to create or affect
any contractual arrangements between the parties. If you have received
this e-mail by mistake, please notify the sender and delete it immediately.
Thank you for your cooperation.