From: Paul Kiel [mailto:paul@xmlhelpline.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 7:38 AM
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: union of a union legal?

In running some schemas through my various array of tools, I came across
an issue that needs clarification.  If I defined two simpleTypes that
are unions, can I use one as a memberType of the other?  I know a union
cannot be in a list, but can a union be in a union?  Here is an example:

 <xsd:simpleType name="OneType">
  <xsd:union memberTypes="Type1 Type2 Type3"/>
 </xsd:simpleType>

 <xsd:simpleType name="OtherType">
  <xsd:union memberTypes="OneType Type4 Type5"/>
 </xsd:simpleType>

My first inclination was yes, based on this sentence from the schema
spec:

4.1.2.3 Derivation by union
"A *union* datatype can be *derived* from one or more *atomic*, *list*
or other *union* datatypes, known as the *memberTypes* of that *union*
datatype."

I am however getting an error using Topologi (which uses msxml4 under
the hood if memory serves) and get the error:

"Union datatypes must be derived from an atomic or list datatype."

This error made me think that I had read something along those lines
before in the spec, but alas I cannot find it.

Many thanks for your comments,

Paul Kiel

W. Paul Kiel
Chief Architect