Re: FW: User issues with Namespaces in Schema -- {form} qualified vs. unqualified, was [RE: Getting acquainted with schema]

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 23:34:58 +0000
To: "Ashok Malhotra" <ashokma@microsoft.com>
CC: "David Ezell" <David_E3@Verifone.Com>, xmlschema-dev@w3.org, w3c-xml-schema-ig@w3.org
Hi Ashok,

> Jeni, you said:
>> Actually, I can't find anything in the XML Schema Structure Rec that
>> explicitly says that the xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation attribute has to
>> point to a schema with no target namespace!
>
> The primer does say:
> "A schema is not required to have a namespace (see Section 3.4) and
> so there is a noNamespaceSchemaLocation attribute which is used to
> provide hints for the locations of schema documents that do not have
> target namespaces."
>
> I realize this is not definitive and the Primer is not a normative
> part of the spec but I interpret this to mean that if the Schema has
> a target namespace you should point to it using a schemaLocation,
> and if it does not you should use noNamespaceSchemaLocation.

Sure - I agree that it's implied there, and in the XML Schema
Structures Rec (in Section 4.3.2, as David indicated). And I think
that it should be the case.

I just expected to find a rule that said something along the lines of
"a hint providing the location of a schema document must be ignored if
the target namespace of the schema does not comply with the namespace
indicated by the hint".

Contrast with Section 4.2.3
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#composition-schemaImport) where it
specifically says in Clause 3.1 of the Schema Representation
Constraint: Import Constraints and Semantics:

  "If there is a namespace [attribute], then its ·actual value· must
   be identical to the ·actual value· of the targetNamespace
   [attribute] of SII."

(where SII is the imported schema.)

Cheers,

Jeni