Re: [SQC is right] Derivation by Restriction and Namespaces - SQC Bug?

>To summarize, is it right if I state the following (when using schemas
showing
>elementFormDefault="qualified")?
>    Given a base type b:BaseType that defines a content model comprising
an
>element b:someElement of b:someType, it is not possible to derive a new
complex
>type r:RestrictedType from b:BaseType by restriction that changes the type
of
>b:someElement to type r:someRestrictedType (that was derived by
restriction from
>b:someType) WITHOUT "touching" namespace b? (by touching I mean defining
new
>types that belong to namespace b, because when I define a new intermediate
type
>in namespace b I can think of an rather awkward way to achieve the desired
>inheritance mentioned before). The only way to achieve the desired
inheritance
>without touching namespace "b" is to put "someElement" into NO namespace.

I can see another way to achieve what you want without "touching" namespace
b.
First, you should defined b:someElement as a global element declaration (so
that it can be referenced elsewhere).
Then, in namespace r, you define another global element r:someElement as
being a member of the substitution group of b:someElement.
The type of r:someElement is r:someRestrictedType. Finally, in the content
type of r:RestrictedType, use r:someElement instead of b:someElement.

>Practically this seems to mean that if someone defines a schema (i.e.,
>namespace), e.g. for cars, where each car features a motor of a certain
type, I
>can't define my own namespace defining a "restricted" car featuring a
>"restricted" motor without modifying the otherones namespace (keeping in
mind,
>that the otherone used elementFormDefault="qualified"). I feel a little
bit
>confused...

I think this is a drawback of using local element declarations instead of
global element declarations.

Achille Fokoue.