XSV - xmlns errors

From: Donna Bergmark <bergmark@CS.Cornell.EDU>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 12:32:43 -0500
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
CC: bergmark@CS.Cornell.EDU, Herbert.VandeSompel@bl.uk, lagoze@CS.Cornell.EDU
We are still happily using XSV to validate potention OAI repositories
against the OAI protocol specification.  We have one recurring problem
with XSV: it tries to open and parse xmlns attribute values.

It is my understanding that xmlns=foo is just a namespace.  It does not
have to be a URL, it does not have to
be locatable.   A repository I am currently looking at has an info.pdf
as its namespace!  That is legal, but XSV
tries to fetch it and parse it as XML.

I do not believe you should be checking the xmlns attribute values.

Sincerely, Donna Bergmark