Re: Doubt about validation

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 20 Dec 2002 10:32:37 +0000
To: Paul Warren <pdw@decisionsoft.com>
Cc: Santino Troiani <santino.troiani@next.it>, xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Paul Warren <pdw@decisionsoft.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 09:05, Santino Troiani wrote:

<snip/>

> > Why your parser doesn't report any error ?
> > Can you give me any suggestion to solve the problem ?
>
> The problem here is that an item called "Text" can be validated against
> either of Text definitions within the choice.  The schema validating
> parser needs to associate each element with a single definition within
> the schema at parse time.  As it stands, it is ambiguous which
> definition a "Text" element would be validated against.

Paul's analysis is correct on all counts.

Your content model as written is (t|(t,d)|d).  To cover the same
possibilities in an acceptable way, write the schema equivalent of

Also, if you install XSV on your own machine, you can use the -i flag
to test a (collection of) schema document(s) thoroughly, as if they
were being used in validation.