is processContents="lax" recursive ?

From: Tom Moog <tmoog@sarvega.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:59:54 -0500
To: "'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Hello,

Suppose one is validating an element P (parent) which is
xs:any with processContent="lax".

Suppose P contains an immediate child C which itself
has an immediate child GC (grandchild).

Suppose C is not recognized and cannot be validated.
Suppose GC is defined and can be validated.

My reading of the spec is that under these circumstnaces
C should be validated against the ur-type.  It is not clear
to me whether the laxness is applied recursively to GC.

Under these circumstances should a validator attempt to
validate GC or should it skip validation of the contents of
C since it has no knowledge of the type of C ?

Tom Moog