RE: Why doesn't this instance document validate?

>> Just to clarify, the way I now understand
>> this is that you cannot specify a default
>> namespace in an instance document unless
>> the root element is from a
>> separate qualified namespace.  Is this correct?

Well, this is legal:

        <a xmlns="http://example.org/yourdefaultnamespace">
                <b/>
        </a>

Both <a> and >b> are qualified (not prefixed!) by the namespace named
http://example.org/yourdefaultnamespace.  So, defining a default on the
root means that you cannot have the root element unqualified.   However,
the root element may be qualified with the same (as above) or different
namespace from the default.  I hope this helps.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

John Verhaeg <jverhaeg@metamatrix.com>
Sent by: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org
08/23/2002 11:34 AM

Just to clarify, the way I now understand this is that you cannot specify
default namespace in an instance document unless the root element is from
separate qualified namespace.  Is this correct?

John P. A. Verhaeg
JVerhaeg@MetaMatrix.Com
MetaMatrix, Inc.
11477 Olde Cabin Road Suite 400