Re: Is the fixed-attribute on length-facet useless?

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:40:54 +0100
To: Rainer Becker <r.becker@Nitro-Software.com>
CC: "'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Hi Rainer,

> (1) Would you agree, that the fixed-attribute is useless
>      in connection with length?

Yes.

> (2) What good is length anyways, is there a reason, why
>      XML Schema 1.1 should still use it?

It's only a shorthand for setting minLength and maxLength to the same
value, I think, but in some cases that shorthand feels more natural. I
don't see any big reason to drop it.

> I see, that the fixed-attribute on minLength und maxLength is
> vitally important.

Personally, I don't see the purpose of the fixed attribute anywhere (I
know what it does, just can't conceive of a situation in which it's a
useful thing to do). If you could provide a use-case, I'd really
appreciate it...

Cheers,

Jeni

---