Re: Clarification on Datatypes Spec

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:20:36 +0100
To: Rainer Becker <r.becker@Nitro-Software.com>
CC: "'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Hi Rainer,

> 3.2.4.2 Canonical representation
> Leading zeroes and the preceding optional "+" sign
> are prohibited in the exponent. ...
> For the exponent, the preceding optional "+" sign is prohibited.
>
> Question: This definition seems to mention that the
> "preceding optional "+" sign is prohibited" two times.
>
> Is this intentionally? If this is the case, please tell me why?

Yes, it's intentional. One is talking about the '+' on the mantissa,
and one on the exponent. If you only prohibited it on the mantissa,
you would allow:

  1.0E+1

or, if you only prohibited it on the exponent, you would allow:

  +1.0E1

As it is, it's prohibited on both, so you have to use:

  1.0E1

Cheers,

Jeni

---