Complex or Simple content usage

From: Danny Vint <dvint@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 10:06:19 -0700
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org, xml-dev@lists.xml.org

I have a schema that validates with just about everything (XML Spy, Xerces)
but not MS-XML.

The problem seems to be around the use of simpleContent or complexContent
and these types:

Here are my base definitions of the types that I use:

    <xsd:complexType name="C-255">
          <xsd:extension base="C-255_NoID">
             <xsd:attribute ref="id"/>
    <xsd:simpleType name="C-255_NoID">
       <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
          <xsd:maxLength value="255"/>
          <xsd:minLength value="1"/>

I then have the following:

    <xsd:element name="HelpText">
             <xsd:extension base="C-255">
                <xsd:attribute ref="xml:lang"/>

MS-XML indicates that instead of complexContent, the definition of HelpText
should use simpleContent. Is this correct? Is this a real error or a
preferred way to define this element?

If MS-XML is correct, could we have made the Schema process any more
difficult? Why can't I use complexContent, with a type defined as a
complexType and simpleContent with a type defined as simpleType?