Question on abstract element

From: Arnaud Blandin <blandin@intalio.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:33:55 -0700
To: "Xmlschema-Dev" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Hi all,

I've a simple question and I can't figure out what I am missing.

I have the following piece of Schema:

<xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

    <xsd:element name="foo" type="fooType" abstract="true"
                                              block="substitution"/>

    <xsd:element name="bar">
        <xsd:complexType>
            <xsd:sequence>
               <xsd:element ref="foo"/>
     </xsd:element>

     definition of fooType
</xsd:schema>

The purpose of this schema is to prevent the element 'foo' from being
used as a top-level element and only used when referenced inside a
complexType or a group.
The problem I have is: since 3.3.4 Element Declaration Validation Rules
specifies that the 'abstract' attribute of a local element must be set
to 'false', do I have to do it by hand (adding abstract='false' to the
referenced element)or is it implied since I am using a 'ref'.
I couldn't find any pointer in the spec.

Thanks in advance,

Arnaud