Re: wildcard

Thank you very much Eric. That was an excellent explaination.

But, the second part is yet not very clear. 3.10.6 of the specification defines
schema component constraint viz. wildcard subset, attribute wildcard union and
attribute wildcard intersection.

Can you tell, when do you need to check for such constraints.

Cheers,
Rahul.

> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:07:14 +0200
> From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
>
> Rahul Srivastava wrote:
>
> > Thanks a ton Eric. :-)
> >
> > I have one more question, but, let me repeat my understanding first.
> > namespace = ##any |
> >             ##other |
> >             ListOf(anyURI , ##targetNamespace?) |
> >             ListOf(anyURI , ##local?)
> >
> > where anyURI is a *set* of URI's and the '?' suffixed means optional.
>

> No, anyURI stands here for the datatype "xs:anyURI".
>
> The list can thus contain any value matching the xs:anyURI datatype or
> the special values ##targetNamespace and ##local.
>
> Technically, the list is a list of the union between xs:anyURI and the
> enumeration ##targetNamespace and ##local.
>
> > Q:I am not very clear about 3.10.6. I mean, when will such case occur?.
Given a
> > case the spec explains very well how to compute wildcard subset, attribute
> > wildcard union or intersection. But...
> >
> > Can you or anybody else can explain this.
>

> ##any and ##other are wildcards for an infinite list of URIs (resp. any
> URI or any URI other than the one of the target namespace). One one of
> them is used, it would be meaningless to define a list.
>
> When they are not used, you need to provide a list of URIs you want to
> allow. You do this by giving an explicit list in which you may use
> ##targetNamespace and ##local if you find it useful.
>
> If your target namespace is "http://target.namespace.com", writing
> ##targetNamespace will be equivalent to writing
> "http://target.namespace.com". It's just an alternative which may be
> preferable if your schema may be included and reused for several target
> namespace.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Eric
>

> > Cheers,
> > Rahul.
> >

> >>Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:16:58 +0200
> >>From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
> >>
> >>Hi,

> > ##local)) )

> >>Yes. I wasn't under the table, but my guess is that the brackets are
> >>coming from the way the schema for schema (from which most of the rec is
> >>generated) is defined but they are useless since
> >>
> >>(a or b) or c  == a or b or c.

> > ListOf(...)

> >>No.
> >>

> >>It's a list of (anyURI or one of the special strings ##targetNamespace
> >>or ##local) that can be combined together.
> >>
> >>i.e. "##targetNamespace http://foo.bar" is valid.
> >>
> >>Hope this helps.
> >>
> >>Eric

ListOf(