equivalent of marked sections?

From: Dunning, John <JDunning@goSPS.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:04:03 -0400
To: "'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Hello,
I'm wondering if there is a mechanism in XML Schema similar to the
INCLUDE/IGNORE marked sections in DTD construction.

I am employing the 'salami slice' design in order to reuse (over 500)
component definitions, but I want certain attribute values to be required in
some document types and optional in others, while still having each
component be a valid schema in itself.  How might I go about this?

Thanks,
John