Is it legitim to compare 2 dateTime without timezones?

From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 10:00:59 +0200
To: "'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Hi,

I feel uneasy about the comparison of two xs:dateTime (or xs:date)
values when none of them have a timezone.

Doing so, we acknowledge that the timezone -which is undetermined when
not specified- is identical all over an instance document and (still
more controversial IMO) between the schemas and the instance documents.

It's kind of implying the notion of a "user's timezone" which I haven't
found explicitely described in the recommendation and which we can
specify neither in a schema nor in an instance document.

Wouldn't be safer to recognize that, like it is the case when a datetime
with timezone is compared to a datetime without timezone, there is only
a partial order when two datetimes without timezones are compared?

Eric
--
Rendez-vous  Paris pour le Forum XML.
                    http://www.technoforum.fr/Pages/forumXML01/index.html