RE: constraining an element to be either simple or complex content

Hi Jeni,

That's a good point, and I think we may have uncovered a contradiction in
the Rec.  The section I was looking at is Derivation Valid (Restriction,
Complex) in clause 5:

5.1 If the {content type} of the complex type definition is a simple type
definition, then one of the following must be true:
5.1.1 The {content type} of the {base type definition} must be a simple type
definition of which the {content type} is a ·valid restriction· as defined
in Derivation Valid (Restriction, Simple) (§3.14.6).
5.1.2 The {base type definition} must be mixed and have a particle which is
·emptiable· as defined in Particle Emptiable (§3.9.6).

Unless maybe I should have used "complexContent"?  I will investigate
further....

Priscilla
Priscilla Walmsley                   priscilla@walmsley.com
Vitria Technology                     http://www.vitria.com
Author, Definitive XML Schema    (Prentice Hall, Dec. 2001)