Re: How we can use targetNamespace?

Dmitry_Trifonov@exigengroup.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Now I see  - "What is targetNamespace for." (See below)
> But I have one important question - "How we can use it? or For which
> purposes we will use targetNamespace?"

I have tried to explain this in my tutorial:

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/11/29/schemas/part1.html?page=8

> Another question: "How namespace http://example.org/demos resolved to
> schema file? By my mind namespace is unique identifier only."

Yet another controversial question ;=) I'll try to be as objective as
possible...

You're right but nothing is explicitely forbidding to publish a document
at the location pointed by the namespace URI.

The rec mentions 3 ways to bind a schema to a namespace:

1.) In the instance document using xsi:schemaLocation.

2.) Giving the location as a parameter to the schema processor which you
are using (with a tool dependent syntax).

3) A schema processor may also try (for instance if none of 1. or 2. are
used) to retrieve what may available at the location pointed by the
namespace name to see if, by chance, there wouldn't be a schema there.

Hope this helps.

Eric

--
Rendez-vous à Paris pour le Forum XML.