Re: Mixed content models and derivation

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:17:28 -0400
To: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson)
Cc: vdv@dyomedea.com, xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Henry Thompson writes:

>> b) when deriving by extension you can stay the same, but never go
>>     from one to the other.

Hmmm.  I wouldn't push it, but one might argue that unmixed -> mixed is
coherent for extension, since the prefix rule could be seen as applying at
the element level, after character children have been ignored.  To be
clear, I'm saying coherent, not that it's mandatory that we change the
spec.  You can imagine use cases where it would be helpful, but I don't
think it's a big priority.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142