RE: Including schemas with no targetnamespace

From: Jeff Lowery <jlowery@scenicsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:50:10 -0700
To: "'Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI'" <kohsuke.kawaguchi@sun.com>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
> chameleon.xsd:
> <schema> <!-- no target namespace -->
>
>   <simpleType name="xyz">
>     <restriction base="foo">    (3)
>     </restriction>
>   </simpleType>
> </schema>

Well, this schema is certainly not valid standalone. It strikes me as a bit
too clever to write a schema whose definitions are invalid until they are
included in the context of another importing schema (namespace is a
different matter). I've read some of Roger Costello's work, and it's fair to
guess that he would probably consider this a feature, but to my eyes it's a
bug. Maybe that's just pig-headed narrowmindedness on my part.