Re: attribute constraints

From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 15:55:51 +0200
To: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
David Carlisle wrote:

>>The combination of W3C XML Schema and Schematron (or RELAX NG, W3C XML
>>Schema datatypes and Schematron as being currently discussed on other
>>lists) seems like a good way to leverage on each language for what it is
>>strong at.
>>

> yes I agree, but what I meant that I hope to be able to offer people a
> DTD, a relaxng shema, a w3c, schema, a schematron, and a hand tuned XSL
> stylesheet that validates all kinds of extra openmath-specific stuff.
> And probably ooffer a web based form that will do all of these at once
> if so desired. Given that, I'm not sure that embedding a bit of the
> schematron into the w3c schema adds a lot.

OTH, it will not harm anyone since it will be silently ignored by the
processors which do not support it.

> Having said that, I'd characterise "this element takes exactly one
> attribute" as somthing that belongs in your level 1 (even though dtd and
> W3C Schema can't say that) logically I think relaxng/trex approach of
> trying to be able to speak of attributes and child elements in similar
> ways would have been a good design principle for a schema language.

Being myself a fan of RELAX NG, I am more than willing to agree,
although I think that, for the better or for the worse, W3C XML Schema
is here to last and that we need to figure how to get the best out of it
  as it is now :( !

Eric

--
Rendez-vous  Paris pour une visite guidee de la nebuleuse XML.
                                           http://dyomedea.com/formation/