what namespace for unqualified locals?

From: Brian Atkins <brian_atkins@firehunter.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 18:26:56 -0400 (EDT)
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
If the form for local element is unqualified, what namespace, if any,
to they belong to?  If they do not belong to the targetNamespace of
the schema, how do they participate in validation?

I am also confused about the relationship between scope and namespace.
Consider the following schema:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xs:schema targetNamespace='http://www.test.com/test'
           xmlns='http://www.test.com/test'
           xmlns:xs='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema'
	   elementFormDefault='unqualified'>

  <xs:element name="test" type="mytype"/>

  <xs:complexType name="mytype">
    <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element name="spam" type="xs:string"/>
    </xs:sequence>
  </xs:complexType>

</xs:schema>

What namespace is the element "spam" in?  I know it's in the scope of the
type "mytype" in the targetNamespace.  Outside the schema itself (in
instance documents or stylesheets, for example), complex types and,
specifically, 'mytype' are not relevant.  How is this "spam" element,
in this type, in this namespace, uniquely identified?

Thanks!
Brian Atkins
--
Brian Atkins          brian_atkins@firehunter.com         (970) 288-2114
Agilent Technologies     4800 Wheaton Drive        Ft. Collins, CO 80525