processing query

From: Ross Thompson <rthompson@contivo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:25:31 -0700
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

I'm a little lost on how the XMLSchema spec defines the processing
model.  In particular, I don't understand how pattern, whitespace, and
derived data types interact.  Consider the following example:

<simpleType name='query'>
  <restriction>
    <union
      <simpleType name='token'>
         <restriction base='string'>
           <whiteSpace value='collapse'/>
         </restriction>
      </simpleType>
      <simpleType name='prose' ref='string'/>
    </union>
    <pattern value="\c  \c"/>
  </restriction>
</simpleType>

(I appologize in advance if this syntax is not 100% kosher.  Please
read with a gentle parser.)

If I understand everything I read correctly, which is a dubious
proposition, then no strings will validate against this type unless
xsi:type is specified on the element in question.  My reasoning is
that any string will validate against 'token', which means that the
normalized type for the string will have spaces collapsed, which
further means that it won't match the pattern for the 'query' type.

Question 1: Do I have this right?

Question 2: Is there some place that describes a processing model for
validation against an XML schema?  I find the spec chatty and vague.

Thanks,
- Ross

---
The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures
the disease.				-- Voltaire