Re: Includes with different target namespace?

From: Bob Schloss <rschloss@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:30:12 -0400
To: Hamish Eisler <HEisler@2roam.com>, xmlschema-dev@w3.org

     If you <import> the XHTML schema, your instance documents can look

     If you want to use the same namespace prefix, (or no prefix) to mean
both sets of elements, you cannot do this.

     A loose justification: Part of the goal of having namespaces was that
programs could look at XML documents and unambiguously understand what each
element tag is about, in the particular sense of avoiding name collisions,
with awareness that the sets of tags defined in namespace probably should
not change after the namespace is published, but that this particular "no
change" restriction cannot be guaranteed.

Bob Schloss
IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center
Yorktown Heights, New York, USA

Hamish Eisler <HEisler@2roam.com>@w3.org on 10/01/2001 12:07:46 PM

Sent by:  xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org

To:   xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject:  Includes with different target namespace?

Hi -

I am trying to create a schema using the XHTML modularization strategy and
have a couple questions I hope some of you can help me with.

Essentially what I am trying to do is define a bunch of my own elements,
then specify that they may have XHTML children.

Suppose my schema has targetnamespace="foo" and the XHTML schema
from http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xhtml-m12n-schema-20010322/" has
targetnamespace "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml".  Is it legal to import this
schema into mine?  What would be the resulting namespace?  If not, is there
any recourse short of creating my own XHTML schema with an identical

On a side note - the referenced XHTML schema is written in the old
specification and I can't get XML Spy to convert it happily to the new
Anyone know of an updated version which is publicly available?