Includes with different target namespace?

From: Hamish Eisler <HEisler@2roam.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 09:07:46 -0700
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Hi -

I am trying to create a schema using the XHTML modularization strategy and I
have a couple questions I hope some of you can help me with.

Essentially what I am trying to do is define a bunch of my own elements, and
then specify that they may have XHTML children.

Suppose my schema has targetnamespace="foo" and the XHTML schema (downloaded
from http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xhtml-m12n-schema-20010322/" has
targetnamespace "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml".  Is it legal to import this
schema into mine?  What would be the resulting namespace?  If not, is there
any recourse short of creating my own XHTML schema with an identical

On a side note - the referenced XHTML schema is written in the old
specification and I can't get XML Spy to convert it happily to the new spec.
Anyone know of an updated version which is publicly available?