From: Eric van der Vlist [mailto:vdv@dyomedea.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 12:46 PM
To: kfricovsky
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: Problem with pattern and empty element

kfricovsky wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have this element in my XML SCHEMA:
>
> <xsd:element name="XXX">
> 	<xsd:simpleType>
> 		<xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
> 			<xsd:pattern value="([0-9]+|[A-Z]+)+" />
> 		</xsd:restriction>
> 	</xsd:simpleType>
> </xsd:element>
>
> I am using XML SPY to validate my XML using the SCHEMA I created. The
> problem I am having is leaving this element as an empty element,  like

> <XXX/>. XML SPY says that the XML doc isn't well formed unless I
> insert a value conforming to my pattern.

Your problem there, is that your pattern requires at least a character!

If you want to accept a null string, why do you specify minimum number
of occurrences equal to one?

<xsd:pattern value="[0-9A-Z]*" />

seems a better bet if you want to accept any number of characters which
are either betweem 0 to 9 or A to Z!

Eric
--
Rendez-vous à Paris pour le Forum XML.