Re: <group> element's attributes

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 07 May 2001 12:23:49 +0100
To: Eddie Robertsson <eddie@allette.com.au>
Cc: KAZUMI Saito <ksaito@jp.fujitsu.com>, xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Eddie Robertsson <eddie@allette.com.au> writes:

 [correct answer to original question elided]

> One thing I find a bit strange is that the above sentence [1] also
> restrict the use of minOccurs and maxOccurs on the children of
> xsd:group. If I understand this correctly the following is invalid:
>
> <xsd:group>
>       <xsd:sequence maxOccurs="2">
>       </xsd:sequence>
> </xsd:group>
>
> Is there a specific reason why this is not allowed?

We had to choose which took effect, the referring <group ref="..."
.../>'s min- and maxOccurs, or the referred to's actual group (the
all/choice/sequence child of <group>).  We decided to go with the
referring one -- this seems to be what's wanted nine times out of ten,
although _not_ always -- suggestions for improvements for the next
version welcome.