Re: What to do with CryptoBinary?

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:12:09 -0500
To: Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com
Cc: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org, xmlschema-dev@w3.org, xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org
At 17:54 3/26/2001 -0500, Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com wrote:
>I don't claim to be an expert on the digital signatures specification,

Thanks for your response Noah. I should've provided a reference, but there
is really nothing more to CryptoBinary than the schema definition.

>http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xmldsig-core-20001031/#sec-CoreSyntax
>    <simpleType name="CryptoBinary">
>      <restriction base="binary">
>       <encoding value="base64"/>
>      </restriction>
>    </simpleType>

>my quick reading of it suggests that CryptoBinary is not just any base64
>binary

It is that simple. It's used as the type for SignatureValue, DigestValue,
X509SKI, X509Certificate,  X509CRL, PGPKeyPacket, and all the DSA/RSA
parameters. Consequently, it has to be generic, and given we decided to go
base64 in xmldsig, it made sense to simplify things and just create a type
for it.

>By specifically naming the
>digital signature type, you will allow behaviors to be applied to any
>information specifically coded in that manner.  The fact that the XML
>schema validation mechanisms provided no additional direct checking is
>unimportant, I think.

Even given what I said above, I'd be willing to take this as an argument not
to eliminate it -- that's the direction I'm leaning towards anyways <smile/>.

__