Re: Deriving a simple type from a complex type

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 19 Mar 2001 14:02:24 +0000
To: Simon Cox <Simon.Cox@dem.csiro.au>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Simon Cox <Simon.Cox@dem.csiro.au> writes:

> Is it possible to constrain the character content of a
> mixed complex type to be one of the built-in simple types?
> e.g.  if I have declared an anyType
>   <xsd:complexType name="FooType" mixed="true"/>
> can I then derive a type with simple content type="xsd:double"
> by restriction from this?  How?

  <xs:restriction base="FooType">
     <xs:restriction base="xs:double"/>

Martin Gudgin was right when he said you can't get a _simple_ type
definition by restricting a complex type definition.  Jeff Rafter was
on the right track in suggesting that what was wanted was a complex
type definition with simple content.

Note that _only_ <xs:restriction> within <xs:simpleContent> is allowed
to have both a base attribute and explicit content, as above.