Re: assigning schema to appInfo elements

From: Eddie Robertsson <eddie@allette.com.au>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 10:22:36 +1100
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
CC: Matt Brown <matt@avolent.com>, "'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

"Henry S. Thompson" wrote:

> Eddie Robertsson <eddie@allette.com.au> writes:
>
> > Sorry, to be a pain about this I just really want to understand how
> > this works and while the above fixed my problem I still can't get
> > XSV to validate the data in appinfo properly. In the file part.xsd
> > [1] I have specified the element allowed in the xsd:appinfo element
> > (sch:pattern). However if I change the test.xsd [2] schema so that
> > the xsd:appinfo element contain the element sch:p instead, XSV still
> > validates this without error. Am I doing something wrong here?
> > ...again ;-(
>
> Validation in appinfo is lax, which means that if it can't find a
> declaration it doesn't complain.  Try leaving sch:pattern in place,
> but change sch:rule to something invalid, and you should get a complaint.

Ahh, of course. Since the validation is lax it won't try to validate the
elements within xsd:appinfo that doesn't match the globally declared (in the
schema that defines the content of xsd:appinfo) sch:pattern element. However, if
there is an sch:pattern it will validate this element as well as its content.

Thanks Henry for your patience!
Cheers,
/Eddie