RE: Canonical XML Schema

From: Robin LaFontaine <robin@monsell.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 17:18:33 +0000
To: "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Cc: "'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Curt,

Thanks for this. The address has changed to:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xsdcomp/

but I tracked it down. Looks interesting (though I have not looked
through in detail). A few questions arise:

1. It looks like you were stretching XSL to its limits! Would you
advise that XSL is suitable for this type of work or would Java be
better? Multi-pass seems an admission of defeat in some senses.

2. What was the driving purpose of this work? Note clear to me the
purpose of the compilation - was it to do instance data validation?

3. Do you have any intention of updating to October CR for XML Schema?

Regards,
Robin

At 12:51 AM -0700 3/1/01, Arnold, Curt wrote:
>In some ways, the "compiled" output from the XSDComp project at
>SourceForge (http://xsdcomp.sourceforge.net) would fit your
>description.  It has been stagnant since the April draft, but I've
>had some
>interest in reviving it as part of an XSD -> Schematron converter.

Robin La Fontaine, Monsell EDM Ltd
(XML file comparison, Engineering data exchange and management using
XML, R&D Project Management)
Tel: +44 1684 592 144 Fax: +44 1684 594 504
Email: robin@monsell.co.uk      http://www.deltaxml.com