RE: assigning schema to appInfo elements

From: David E. Cleary <davec@progress.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:26:44 -0500
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> Specific applications may want to define specific requirements for the
> appInfo tag. If the appInfo tag could be partitioned with each partition
> having its own schema definition, applications could augment schema
> information with the assurance that the data conforms to a specific
> structure.

All done through namespaces. BTW, I did a presentation on this for XML 2000
that you can download at
http://www.freeframework.org/downloads/xml/schemaext.zip. Also, I have an
article coming out on this for the May issue of XML Journal.

> Obviously XML Schema can't be everything to everyone. I had hoped (and it
> may still be possible) that XML Schema's appInfo would allow
> applications to
> define schema-based extensions to XML Schema's capabilities.

It does. You just need to find out how specific tools find and validate
schemas for multiple namespaces.

David Cleary
Progress Software