Re: ASN.1 => XML Schema questions

From: Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI <kohsukekawaguchi@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:57:18 -0700
To: "David E. Cleary" <davec@progress.com>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> Just an orthoganal question I have. Can RelaxNG do this even though it is a
> requirement of it not to add anything to the basic infoset? Or is that an
> example of a schema language that can't tell an application what type an
> element is?

I couldn't find any statement that says RELAX NG "prohibits" its
processors to report type information.
So I think it is completely OK to do that if I want to. And it is in
fact possible in the sense that there is an algorithm to do that.

But since it's not a part of the spec, certainly use cases like the
following one, which is shown by Noah, is not immediately available for
RELAX NG, although it is still theoretically possible to introduce
another spec on top of RELAX NG (or DTD, or SOX, or any other schema
language) and defines their type information as PSVI.

> such features of DTDs.  I suspect, but don't know for sure, that future
> versions of XSL and XPath may support templates such as "match on all
> integers", from which it would be possible when producing HTML from a
> stylesheet to "format all negative integers in red".  That would depend on
> the PSVI (in this case type information) being available.

regards,
K.Kawaguchi
E-Mail: kohsukekawaguchi@yahoo.com