Re: ASN.1 => XML Schema questions

From: Kohsuke KAWAGUCHI <kohsukekawaguchi@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:51:38 -0700
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Geoff Elgey <elgey@dstc.qut.edu.au>, xmlschema-dev@w3.org

> I'm pretty sure the reason is that in W3C XML Schema validation,
> the result includes not just a "yes, this is valid"/"no, not valid"
> but also "and this part of the input matched this part of the
> schema" i.e. "it has this type, is associated with this annotation"
> etc.

I don't think so.

Yes, W3C XML Schema can tell the application that "this
element/attribute has this type", but almost any schema language can do
this.

And W3C XML Schema still cannot tell things like "these three elements
matched this <sequence> particle", can it.

For example, consider the following schema and the following instance.

<sequence maxOccurs="unbounded">
  <element ref="foo" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
</sequence>

I think this is OK wrt the UPA constraint.

Now would you tell me how many <sequence> blocks are there, in the above
instance?

Is it

or is it

or what?

> Keep in mind that the other languages won't give you type/annotation
> info as a result of checking.

Please keep in mind that there are only one or two validators that give
you type/annotation info for XML Schema at this moment, and there is
still no interface for that.

regards,
K.Kawaguchi
E-Mail: kohsukekawaguchi@yahoo.com