Re: ASN.1 => XML Schema questions

From: K.Kawaguchi <kohsukekawaguchi@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:01:58 -0700
To: Geoff Elgey <elgey@dstc.qut.edu.au>, xmlschema-dev@w3.org

> I know that N! alternatives sounds daunting when performing schema
> validation -- is this why <all> cannot have repetitions or be nested
> within a <sequence> ?

There are algorithms that can validate <all> nested within <all>, or
whatever (see http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/jing.html for
example), but it's just that W3C XML Schema decided not to allow them
for some reason.

So your options are either

- stick to W3C XML Schema and make a compromise by using (a|b)* rather
  than (ab|ba)*.
- or switch to another schema language that allows you to express what
  you want.

regards,
K.Kawaguchi
E-Mail: kohsukekawaguchi@yahoo.com