ID/IDREF/IDREFS as elements

From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:04:04 +0200
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
My understanding of the recommendation is that while "For compatibility
(see Terminology (§1.4)) this datatype should be used only on
attributes", it was still valid to use it for elements.

This interpretation seems to be confirmed by the fact that ID typed
elements do contribute to the PSVI ID/IDREF table like attributes:
"...it has an attribute information item in its [attributes] or an
element information item in its [children] which was ·validated· by the
built-in ID simple type definition or a type derived from it whose
[schema normalized value] is the [id] of this ID/IDREF binding."

This is quite different from the way both XSV 1.2 ('XSV 1.190/1.95 of
2001/05/07 08:38:12'
) and XML Spy 4.0b1 are handling ID and/or IDREF elements (simple repro
cases available if needed) and I'd like a confirmation that defining ID,
IDREF and IDREFS as elements is valid and equivalent to defining them as
attributes and that the styles can be mixed (for instance defining an ID
as an attribute and an IDREFS to these IDs as element).

Thanks

Eric
--
Pour y voir plus clair dans la nebuleuse XML...
                                          http://dyomedea.com/formation/