Re: validating xml schemas with the standard schema

From: Eddie Robertsson <eddie@allette.com.au>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:10:47 +1000
To: Paul Jakubik <pauljakubik@yahoo.com>
CC: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
> Thanks Eddie,
>
> This helped a lot. The parser now loads the Schema
> properly. It then looked for the datatypes.xsd, which
> I copied from
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#schema.
>
> Evidently the datatypes.xsd is not intended for actual
> use. It uses xs:anySimpleType as a base for the simple
> types, and admits that this is artificial since these
> types should actually be built into the parser.
>
> So, would removing the reference to the datatypes.xsd
> in the XMLSchema.xsd make things parsable? Or would it
> be better to just remove any of the declarations in
> the datatypes.xsd that use anySimpleType as a base?
>
> Is there a set of schemas that is actually intended to
> be used to validate schemas? Should I just use the
> DTDs instead?

If you use the online version of XMLSchema.xsd like this:

xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd"

you shouldn't need anything else.
If you have to download the XMLSchema.xsd make sure you have the latest
version and also download datatypes.dtd
(http://www.w3.org/2001/datatypes.dtd) in the same directory as the
XMLSchema.xsd file.

Cheers,