Re: Choosing Between ComplexTypes

From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 19:12:07 +0200
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
"Sean B. Palmer" wrote:

> I want to be able to express a very general element type:-
>
>    <!ELEMENT a ( b | ( c | #PCDATA )* ) >

As you've said, I think you're stuck :(

'mixed="true"' is a property of the parent element (a in this case) that
can be either true or false (not true when c and false when b).

To the classic answer (add a schematron rule or shift to RELAX NG), we
can add the elegant workaround [1] proposed by Jeni this morning on
xml-dev using abstract datatypes.

[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200107/msg00038.html

Note that the schema still needs then a hint (expressed as an xsi:type
attribute in the instance document) to determine which case we are
handling.

Hope this helps.

Eric

--