Problems with the namespace of substitution groups

From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:58:12 -0000
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
I'm having trouble making substitution groups work. In the specification the
example given of a substitution group has

<xs:element name="facet" type="xs:facet" abstract="true"/>

 <xs:element name="encoding" substitutionGroup="xs:facet">

where facet has been defined using <xs:complexType name="facet">

I'm trying to work out what the significance of the addition of the xs:
namespace to the type definition for the abstract element and for the
substitutionGroup attribute.  Could this be something to do with the reason
that if I try to import a file containing just the complexType and abstract
element definitions into a schema that is designed to instatiate the
abstract instances I start getting error messages from XML Spy? What is the
relationship of the name space of an abstract element or complexType
definition to the targetNamespace and the null namespace (xmlns=...)
properties of the containing schemas?

Martin Bryan
Technical Manager, The Diffuse Project

Diffuse: http://www.diffuse.org, mailto:mtbryan@diffuse.org
The Diffuse Project is funded under the European Commission's IST programme.
Diffuse publications are maintained by TIEKE (Finnish IT Development
IC Focus and The SGML Centre.

The SGML Centre, 29 Oldbury Orchard, Churchdown, Glos GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029  E-mail: mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com

For further details about The SGML Centre visit http://www.sgml.u-net.com