Deriving various simpleContent and complexContent types from the same base?

From: Simon Cox <Simon.Cox@dem.csiro.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:34:21 +0800
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Problem:

1.  I want to define an abstract element <_Observation>,
whose substitutionGroup includes elements such as
  <Quantity> which has simple content of type xsd:double
  <Value> with simple content of type xsd:string
  <Count> with simple content of type xsd:nonNegativeInteger

e.g. Can I define an abstract base type with no content
(complexType?), or of "anyType" (can this be a simpleType?),
and then "restrict" the base to the various simpleTypes?

2.  Can I also derive e.g. <TwoQuantity> with complex content
- a sequence of <Quantity> elements -
by extension from the same base <_Observation> type?

e.g. Is it possible to extend a simpleType by inserting
elements as a content model?

I've a feeling that the second case is easier than the first,
but have been going round in circles on this and need some help!

--
Simon.Cox@dem.csiro.au    CSIRO Exploration & Mining
T:+61(8) 9284 8443 F:+61(8) 9389 1906 M:0403 302 672