Re: Validity Rule - Where does Element's {abstract} appear?

"Henry S. Thompson" wrote:

> Michael Anderson <michael@research.canon.com.au> writes:
>
> > I can't seem to find the Validity Rule which stops element information
> > items being validated with respect to an abstract Element Declaration.
> > The rule appears for abstract ComplexTypes at cvc-complex-type.1.1 but I
> > can't find it in cvc-elt.  Is this rule somehow implicit?  If so from
> > which set of rules?
>
> Sorry, well hidden in Element Sequence Locally Valid (Particle) [1],
> clause 1.1.3.2.2

Oops, thanks for that.
Actually, the reason I was not looking there was because I was trying to
validate a document element against an Element Declaration which was abstract.
As the document element never appears in an element sequence, the test for
{abstract}( must be false ) is never tested.
<details>
I was experimenting a validation by using the specifications ( not in XSV or
XMLSpy etc ).  I start assessment as defined in [ Structures 7.2 ] Assessing
Schema-Validity of Documents.  This allows me to appeal Schema-Validity
Assessment( Element ) with either a known complexType Definition, a known
Element Declaration or nothing.  I chose nothing.  The Schema-Validity
Assessment then resolved the Element Declaration from the namespace and local
name of the document element's information item.  This declaration was then used
to locally validate the information item, which does not include the test for
{abstract} of the Declaration must be false.  This test _is_ applied to the
children of the document information item, but not the document information item
itself.
</details>

So am I (again :~) missing some rule that causes the {abstract} test to apply to
the document element?
If so, are there any other rules that apply specifically to the document
element?

cheers,
mick.