Re: XSV Crash on XHTML Schema

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 14:13:19 -0000
To: "Eddie Robertsson" <eddie@allette.com.au>
Cc: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>, "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
> you need to qualify all your references

Done. XSV still crashes out with the same warning... here is the full
message:-

http://infomesh.net/2001/xhtmls/structure.xsd:73:33: Error:
Undeclared attribute group
{http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema}:html.attlist
referenced
http://infomesh.net/2001/xhtmls/structure.xsd:72:16: Error:
Undefined group
{http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema}:html.content
referenced from content model

Where I *have* declared the groups quite clearly, thus:-

<group name="html.content">
  <sequence>
     <element ref="head" minOccurs="1" />
     <element ref="body" minOccurs="1" />
  </sequence>
</group>
<attributeGroup name="html.attlist">
    <attributeGroup ref="i18n" />
</attributeGroup>
<element name="html">
  <complexType>
    <group ref="html.content" />
    <attributeGroup ref="html.attlist" />
  </complexType>
</element>

Maybe there is a very simple error in there that I'm missing still. Maybe I
need to qualify these groups as well, but in the XHTML Simple NS like:-

<group name="html.content">
  <sequence>
     <element ref="head" minOccurs="1" />
     <element ref="body" minOccurs="1" />
  </sequence>
</group>
<attributeGroup name="html.attlist">
    <attributeGroup ref="i18n" />
</attributeGroup>
<element name="html">
  <complexType>
    <group ref="xhtmls:html.content" />
    <attributeGroup ref="xhtmls:html.attlist" />
  </complexType>
</element>

But that still gives:-

http://infomesh.net/2001/xhtmls/structure.xsd:73:40: Error:
Undeclared attribute group xhtmls
{http://infomesh.net/2001/xhtmls/xhtml.xsd}:html.attlist
referenced

http://infomesh.net/2001/xhtmls/structure.xsd:72:16: Error:
Undefined group xhtmls
{http://infomesh.net/2001/xhtmls/xhtml.xsd}:html.content
referenced from content model

I'm convinced I'm just missing something very simple.

> I'm not sure what you're trying to do but it seems you're trying to
> restrict the values of the xml:space attribute and I don't think you're
> allowed to do that.

Well, the xml: namespace is an odd thing; in the XHTML DTD, the xml:space
attribute is set to "preserve", yet when you use <pre>, you don't have to
specify that. It's as if parsers are supposed to look it up in the DTD or
something, which I've never understood. Anyway, I saw Rick Jelliffe using
this method to recreate that in XML Schema, but I'm not sure how valid it
is.

> > how you you denote the content model of
> > an element (link, img etc.) as being empty?
[...]
>    <xsd:complexType/>

Ah, so obvious: just get rid of content=mixed". I've fixed the XSD, so link
is now of content model empty. I've put a short page up about the language
at http://infomesh.net/2001/xhtmls/

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer