Redeclaring attribute in derived type

From: Jesse McCarthy <mccarthy36@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 21:12:56 -0500
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but the search function
doesn't work blah blah blah, you know how that go.

This is a question about schema structure.

Can I redeclare an attribute when deriving a complexType?  For example, if I
want to create a generic type that specifies a minimal content model and one
or more attributes and I want to derive other types from that, adding to the
content model. and restricting the value of an attribute of the base type by
setting a fixed or default value or restricting the value, etc.  e.g.

<xsd:complexType name="BaseType">

    <xsd:element ref="JMM:someElementABC" />

  <xsd:attribute name="id" type="xsd:ID" />

<xsd:complexType name="DerivedType">

    <xsd:extension base="JMM:BaseType">

        <xsd:element ref="JMM:someElementXYZ" />

      <xsd:attribute name="id" type="xsd:ID" fixed="Derived" />

The spec /seems/ to rule this out, but it would provide a useful facility for
me, and the XSV schema validator linked from the W3C schema page doesn't seem
to have a problem with it.

Relevant parts of the spec:

Complex Type Definition with simple content Schema Component

{attribute uses}

A union of sets of attribute uses as follows
1 The set of attribute uses corresponding to the <attribute> [children], if
any. ...
3 if the type definition ·resolved· to by the ·actual value· of the base
[attribute] is a complex type definition, the {attribute uses} of that type
definition, ...

3.4.6 Constraints on Complex Type Definition Schema Components

Schema Component Constraint: Complex Type Definition Properties Correct

All of the following must be true:

4 Two distinct attribute declarations in the {attribute uses} must not have
identical {name}s and {target namespace}s. ...

What do you make of this?

(please CC me when replying)

--> Jesse