Equivalent of DOCTYPE in Schemas?

From: Nigel Armstrong <nigelwarmstrong@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:18:54 +0000
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Hi All,

I've checked the archives, and not found an answer to this, so here goes...

When using a DTD, although all <!ELEMENT>s could potentially be the root
element of a document, the <!DOCTYPE> declaration in the instance document
governs which element will be the root element.

So my question is, how can this be done with Schemas? Again, potentially any
top level element declared in a Schema could be a valid root element in an
instance document. How is the root element specified?
xsi:SchemaLocation...doesn't seem to have any mechanism for specifying the
root element name....

Hope you can help!

Nigel